Introduction to Tele-Consultation
Evaluation of patient(s), and/or patient data, and consultation regarding patient management, from a distant site, using a telecommunications interface. The teleconsultant, by definition, does not have the ability to physically interact with the patient, except through the telecommunications interface.
- Initial urgent evaluation of patients, triage decisions, and pretransfer arrangements for patients in an urgent/emergency situation.
- Intra-operative consultations.
- Supervision and consultation for primary care encounters in sites where an equivalently qualified physician/surgeon is not available.
- Routine consultations and second opinions based on history, physical findings, and available test data
- Public health, preventive medicine, and patient education